October 28. 2014
In 1936 the ‘DAKS Simpson Piccadilly’ store was opened, and became the home of the DAKS brand until it unfortunately closed its doors in 1999. Designed by the architect Joseph Emberton, the building was constructed on a steel framework from the basement level to the 7th floor.
Reputed to be the most advanced architectural feat of its time, it also featured large non-reflective windows at the entrance. Due to their concave design, customers would only see the merchandise rather than the reflection of themselves. Emberton also designed a 90-foot high central lighting system that illuminated the stairwell. This feature has now become a listed item and still very much paramount to the building today.
In the era of department stores, the DAKS Simpson Piccadilly store attracted widespread public attention due to the ability to shop for clothing and to socialise at the same time. Not only did it host the home of the DAKS clothing line it stocked other impressive brands plus it featured a restaurant, a bar and a barbershop.